Practical, up-to-date information, assistance and educational programs for groups and individuals in the following areas:
- child development
- financial management
- food safety & nutrition
- life skills
Presentations are available in Spanish.
Learn more about Extension programs and resources:
- Extension Family & Consumer Sciences
- Extension Health & Family Well-Being
- Cooperative Extension Service
Kitchen Creations, a cooking school for people with diabetes and their families, is jointly supported by the Diabetes Prevention and Control Program and the New Mexico State University Cooperative Extension Service.
A healthy diet and appropriate food choices are considered the cornerstones of diabetes management. The four lessons taught in Kitchen Creations were developed to help families manage diabetes through meal planning and healthy food preparation.
The Goals of Kitchen Creations include:
- Increasing knowledge of healthy food choices and meal planning for people with diabetes.
- Presenting healthy versions of familiar foods, and introducing new foods, that are economical and easy to prepare.
- Providing hands-on opportunities to learn cooking techniques that use new or more healthful ingredients.
- Encouraging behavior changes by preparing and tasting healthy foods.
The cooking classes are taught in a team approach by a Dona Ana County Extension staff person and a local health professional with a background in diabetes management.
Classes in Doña Ana County
Please call 575-525-6649 or e-mail Karim Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out when classes are offered in your area.
Pecan Food Fantasy Contest